A mother has been criticized on the internet for buying a peanut butter cake for her son’s birthday party despite his nephew having severe allergies.
Reddit user Throwitawayaccy shared a post to the 4.1 million-strong AmITheA**hole sub, explaining that he gave his son a cake for his 7th birthday, and that he has severe allergies. I added that I gave my 8 year old nephew a small vanilla cake.
In a post that can be seen here, she said the cake was handed out to children at a party and only five of them wanted the vanilla treat.
However, the parent later said, “When my sister saw the peanut cake, she was horrified and yelled at me, telling me that my son could die if he touched the cake.
“I told my kids it was peanut cake and told her I had a vanilla cake in the kitchen for my nephew.
“When she came back, the kids had already eaten the cake,” she asked me.
A Reddit user’s sister later called her an “uncaring pit” for not considering her child’s allergies.
Peanuts are one of the eight food groups or foods that cause the most serious allergic reactions in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
“Anaphylaxis is a sudden, severe allergic reaction that can be fatal. I am being treated in the emergency department.
The CDC also states that there is no cure for food allergies and the only way to prevent reactions is strict avoidance.
The need to keep allergic children safe from potentially harmful foods was not lost on many commenters who blamed parents.
Since being shared on June 20, the post has received nearly 8,340 upvotes and garnered over 3,380 comments.
One Reddit user commented: hole). “
Another said, “I know people who start reacting just to the smell of peanuts. I’ve had friends touch things they touched that touched peanuts and they reacted. Allergies are no joke. Solution I should have mentioned this first in order to take action..”
A third poster asked, “Did you warn her ahead of time that there are serious allergens present? I would be horrified if I were caught off guard by a life-threatening food.”