Talk about a magical mashup! This birthday cake ice cream sandwich recipe combines two of our favorite his treats into one sprinkle-covered dessert.
Everyone loves a delicious birthday cake, especially a confetti cake, but it’s a treat we’ve all had before. Take that same flavor to the next level with the mashup we’ve all been waiting for this summer. Birthday cake ice cream sandwich.
These homemade birthday cake ice cream sandwiches have the festive look and flavor of a confetti cake with ice cream sandwiched between. It doesn’t get any better than that, so let’s get started!
How to make a birthday cake ice cream sandwich
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cup sprinkles
- 1-1/2 quart vanilla ice cream
- Rainbow sprinkles: No birthday cake recipe is complete without furikake! Make sure you have plenty on hand. This birthday cake ice cream sandwich recipe uses more than one cup.
- Ice cream sandwich scoop: With this special tool it is very easy to separate the ice creams for each ice cream sammy. He’s one of our favorite ice cream gadgets.
- Small cookie scoop: Make sure the cookie is the same size as the cookie scoop.
Step 1: Make Cookie Dough
Start making cookie dough by beating eggs, oil and vanilla until well mixed. Be sure to use a high quality vanilla extract here. It really stands out because it’s the primary flavor in these cookies.
In another bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Then add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and blend until just blended.
Editor’s Tip: Our recipe calls for canola oil, but vegetable or grapeseed oil will also work.
Step 2: Shape and Bake Cookies
Then separate the cookie dough. A tablespoon-sized cookie scoop is perfect for this job. Using a measuring cup or glass, slightly flatten each chunk of cookie dough.
Bake the cookie dough in a 350ºF oven for 8-10 minutes, until edges are lightly browned. Cool cookies on sheet for 2 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
Editor’s Tip: Cookies should be the same shape and size for sandwiches. A cookie scoop helps with size. Use this round cookie trick to create the perfect round shape. Take a round cookie or biscuit cutter and scoop the cookie inside while it’s still warm.
Step 3: Add Ice Cream
Let your favorite ice cream soften on the counter for about 15 minutes before scooping. This makes it easier to scoop and press between cookies.
Once softened, scoop a third scoop into half of the cookie. With this handy ice cream sandwich maker, it’s super easy to portion out and form the right flat shape. But your go-to ice cream scoop works just as well. After scooping, press another cookie on top to make the perfect ice cream sammy.
Place the cookies in the freezer for 10-15 minutes before giving these birthday cake ice cream sandwiches the finishing technicolor touch.
Step 4: Add Sprinkles to Finish
After a little cooling, these cookies are ready for the final, but perhaps most important touch. Roll the edge of each sandwich with a rainbow jimmy before enjoying.
To save for later, freeze for 1 hour, then wrap in plastic wrap. For best results, place individually wrapped sammies in a zipper bag or airtight container.Consume within 3 months.
Looking for easy dessert recipes? Try making this ice cream bun.
Tips for making a birthday cake ice cream sandwich
This birthday cake ice cream sandwich is easy, but you can definitely use a few shortcuts and make a few tweaks so these frozen treats are just for you. Here are some tips to make the process simple and delicious.
- Prepare cookies in advance. These cookies can be prepared in advance. Store cookies in an airtight container for a few days or freeze for a month or two. No need to unzip when ready to assemble.
- Look for store-bought cookies: If you don’t have time to make homemade cookies, choose your favorite packaged cookies. These milk bar confetti cookies are a great substitute if you ask us!
- Switch ice cream. Our recipe calls for vanilla ice cream, but feel free to use your favorite flavor of ice cream (or froyo or gelato). Here are some pints our editors love and some homemade ice cream recipes to inspire your next ice cream sammy combo.
- Add more extras. Sprinkles are just the beginning! You can roll the edges of the ice cream sandwich with nuts, chocolate his chips, or your favorite ice cream toppings.
Make more sprinkled treats