Before we bravely step into this new year, we have something to celebrate. I got a dog for Christmas.
Yes, I know pets are for life, not for Christmas, but he was a stray dog who got hit by a car and had his front leg severely broken, so I took him out of the animal shelter just for Christmas. I was brought up.
He arrived wearing a sad face and a cone.
The first night he broke out and pulled everything within reach of the kitchen onto the floor. He’s a tall boy, most likely a greyhound, and can reach for a variety of things, including the sealed tin containing his son’s birthday cake.
I pried it open and devoured the rest of the cake, which contained 70% dark chocolate icing. Now, everyone would say that chocolate is really bad for dogs. he was happy with himself.
I called the vet and he wasn’t too concerned. After all, this is the guy who once suggested giving a reluctant dog a crushed tablet in a minibar.
Maxwell was fine, but his antics during the night meant he broke his leg, and on Christmas Eve there was a queue that had to take him to the pet emergency hospital. I was told it would be a 3 hour wait. and waited. 6 hours.
Also read: Covid-19 is now a ‘joke’
Emergency cases were arriving one after another and they were triaging pets: respiratory tract, breathing, circulation… consumption of mince pies. I’m not kidding you: mince pies. and grapes. and chocolate. They all came in and scurried to the top of the queue.A steady stream followed as the night progressed, with much-needed mince pies being served for the jolly Santas throughout the city, and opportunistic Fidos and Felixes helped himself.
And we all know that raisins are bad for dogs. Apparently. like grapes. like chocolate. At one stage a veterinarian showed up. “All the Mince Pie Dogs?” It was like a rock festival.
Regardless, I doubt the dog survived.
As for Maxwell, he’s been treated and returned to his forever home.
Read now: My ho ho ho this year is no no no