Charleston, W. Virginia (WOWK) – The Mountain State is celebrating its birthday today. West Virginia officially states that she is 159 years young.
The state celebrates with multiple festivals, many of which take place at the Capitol’s Cultural Center. At one of his events, the winners of his West Virginia Birthday Cake Contest were announced by Governor Justice and Cathy her Lady Justice.
The contest invites West Virginians to submit original cake recipes, and the winning recipe will be featured on the “official” state birthday cake served annually on June 20th to celebrate the statehood of West Virginia. became.
The winner of the contest was Kim Wymer of Scott Depot, “Ms. Van’s Blackberry Skillet Cake. Her inspiration, she says, came from her Mountain State roots. Of course, walnuts are West Virginia.” I grew up in the states, and thought my mom used to make pineapple upside down cakes in a cast iron skillet and my grandmother used to cook them in a pan all the time, so I combined this and see what I came up with. Let’s look at.
As for the name, she wanted to honor her great-grandmother. We did our share of cooking in the skillet,” says Weimer.
Weimer says she’s overwhelmed with joy, grateful that her recipe will live forever in West Virginia, and hopes that everyone who tries it enjoys it.
Mrs. Van’s Blackberry Skillet Cake
Created by Kim Weimer in West Virginia.
Cake ingredients and method:
- 1 1/2 sticks of butter, set aside
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 12 oz.fresh blackberries, washed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups + 1 tbsp.Granulated sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 tsp.Baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Toss blackberries with 1 tbsp. Granulated sugar.
- Add 1/2 stick of butter to a 10-inch cast iron skillet and place in oven until melted. Remove from oven, add 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup walnuts, stir, then add blackberries, and Arrange in a cast iron skillet.
- In a medium bowl, combine 2 cups flour, 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder, 1/2 tsp. ground cloves, 1/2 tsp. nutmeg and 1 tsp. Cinnamon, then set aside. In another bowl, mix 1 stick butter with 1 1/2 cups sugar and whisk 2 eggs with 2 tsp. With vanilla and 1 cup buttermilk. Add this to the butter and sugar and mix until combined.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and mix until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Pour into cast-iron skillet over berry mixture.
- Bake approx. 40 minutes until clean with a toothpick stuck in the center.
- Cool in a cast-iron skillet for 10 minutes, then flip the cake onto a serving plate. While the cake is cooling, mix in the nutmeg glaze.
Nutmeg Glaze Ingredients and Method:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/8 tsp.nutmeg
- 6 teaspoons warm water
- Combine all three ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Once the cake has cooled and flipped onto a serving plate, drizzle the glaze over the warm cake and enjoy!