Until the end of summer, or even before, many children will miss their classmates. Seeing friends is a big plus when starting school, but some children may feel a little insecure about school in general. You may wonder if it’s the same as before, or if you still have the same interests as before.
To alleviate this anxiety, we recommend having a back-to-school party a day or two before school starts. This way, kids can reconnect with old friends without the pressure of going back to school.The relaxed atmosphere and fun party themes make those new introductions easier. If you know there are new kids in the neighborhood that no one knows about yet, be sure to invite them too.
Let’s make your back to school party cool and awesome! To ensure a successful party for all attendees, you need to come up with a plan that takes into account the age and common interests of your group. It helps a lot.
back to school party ideas
First, think about the types of things your child enjoys. Other children of the same age may have similar interests. For example, if your child is really into dinosaurs, plan a party around that theme. Games, decorations, and even food can be created based on themes. Here are some fun theme ideas.
1. book theme – For kids who love to read, you can decorate based on popular books for your age group.
2. Backyard games – Have a variety of outdoor games in your backyard. You can also rent a bounce house.
3. Pajamas theme – Host a pajama party anytime. Who wouldn’t want to hang out in Jammy all day?
4. Back-to-school ice cream party – Create ice cream bars with all toppings.
5. Craft party to get ready for the new school year – Sharpen your kids’ craft skills in a fun way to cut, draw, color, paint and more before school starts.
6. Superhero theme – Most kids aspire to be superheroes someday. Choose popular superheroes to join your party in the form of decorations or games.
7. Crazy Sock Party – Make kids add crazy socks to their school shopping list for this party. It will be fun to show off your unique style to your friends.
8. Back to school T-shirt party – With a variety of unique t-shirts, kids will have fun choosing a special t-shirt to wear to the party. You can even tie-dye together if you want to go that route!
RELATED: Fun DIY projects inspired by back-to-school
Consider co-hosting with other parents
Ideally, the back-to-school party would be inclusive with all classmates invited. Depending on the size of your class, you may have more children than you can manage. Consider inviting only girls or just boys to keep the party small. You can also.
back to school party venue ideas
9. Local park – Courses with nature trails are especially suitable for fun group walks.
10. Public Pool – Perfect for hosting a pool party in your own backyard if you have your own pool. However, there are other options available for rent, such as your high school’s pool or your local gym.
11. Beach – Like the pool, the beach is a fun place when the weather permits.
12. School Gymnasium – Hosting a back-to-school party in your child’s school gym is great for active play.
13. Backyard Campout – We don’t have much time to sleep, so it’s best to camp overnight at least a few days before school starts! This idea is also suitable for small groups.
back to school party menu ideas
Children’s menus are usually fairly easy to come up with. Hot dogs, chicken nuggets, pizza, potato chips, and cupcakes are all good ideas. However, it is important to know about food allergies. Maybe parents can let us know about allergies when doing attendance checks for their kids. If so, please remove the food from your menu or make other options available.
14. Cupcake – Cupcakes are easy to hold and fun to decorate. Decorate with colored frostings and school-related decorations such as alphabet candies.
15. Apples – Best food for school. For more fun, serve caramel apples or apple slices with caramel dip.
16. Chicken nuggets – You will be amazed by the wide variety of nugget shapes, from dinosaurs to alphabets. There are many to choose from to suit your theme.
17. Cookies – Any type of cookie will do, but letter and apple shaped sugar cookies are good for school themes.
18. Sandwich Cutout – Even a simple bologna and cheese sandwich can look cool with a fun cookie cutter or crimper.
19. Rice Crispy Treats – Shape the Rice Krispies into a pencil shape. Add pink frosting to one end of the eraser and a little black icing to the lead tip.
20. Decorate the cake – A full cake decorated like a chalkboard is a fun idea. Freeze the cake with black frosting and create a “chalkword” with white icing.
Related: 20+ Back to School Baked Recipes
back to school party game ideas
21. School Supplies Scavenger Hunt – Make a scavenger list of hidden school supplies around your party space.
22. Get To Know You Beach Ball – This game is a fun beach-themed party. Write the question on the ball. One person throws it at another and each person answers questions about themselves while holding the ball.
23. Hide the eraser – Someone hides a big eraser and the rest of the group tries to find it. For younger children, someone who hides hot (near) or cold (far) from a hidden eraser can tell.
24. Backyard Track and Field – Set up competitive games such as long jump, hurdles and relay races. Hand out ribbons to the winners in each area.
25. Pool Volleyball – Great for pool parties.
26. Water Balloon Throw – Fill the balloons with water and have the kids throw them without breaking them.
RELATED: 35 Fun Outdoor Games for Kids
back to school party decoration ideas
27. Lots of balloons and confetti – Not only is it colorful and festive at any party, but it’s also fun to play with.
28. Colorful streamers – Give any party a festive feel by simply hanging the streamers in your space.
29. Chalkboard sign – Use mini chalkboards to display fun signs.
30. Theme paper plates and napkins – No matter what theme you choose, you’re sure to find matching plates and napkins. For general themes, choose plates with school motifs such as crayons or apples.
31. Colorful Pennants – Like a streamer, colorful pennants will set the mood for your party.
32. School Supplies Present – Decorate with party favors. For example, put pink erasers in a bowl and distribute them at the end of the party. A ruler in a clear glass vase can also be used to create and distribute another school-themed decoration.
next? Check out the best back to school quotes!